Monday, February 13, 2012

 'Formula didn't fit,' Badgers' Smith says of leaving as coach


BERK'S BEAT
Five seasons after landing his dream job, Tucson High School football coach Vincent Smith resigned Thursday after compiling a 13- 39 record.
Smith said the decision was mutual, but the former UA offensive lineman was disappointed he was moving on.
"At the end of the day, my formula didn't fit with the vision of the school and the powers that be," Smith said. "It was a decision that we thought would be best for the program."
Tucson High athletic director Gary Lewis said a move needed to be made, and both sides agreed.
"The program seemed to be at a standstill," Lewis said. "It was an agreement on both sides to get a fresh set of eyes and see if we could move forward. It was definitely a tough decision. Vince is a good friend and has put in a lot of energy to the job."
The Badgers went 2-8 this season after posting back-to-back 5-6 campaigns in 2008 and 2009. When Smith took over in '06, the team went 0-10 and moved to 1-9 in '07.
Smith took the job after coaching Mesa Desert Ridge for three seasons. He always had an eye on coaching THS after his playing days at UA, and when the job came open he moved to Tucson just to take the job.
"This is what brought me to Tucson, and I felt I could step in and do some good things with it," said Smith, who played at Arizona from 1990 to '92 . "It was a no-brainer at the time. It's hard because I've never felt like I've failed at anything before.
"I really under shot my goals and expectations at this job. I didn't do a good enough job controlling the circumstances."
Smith said he still has a desire to coach and will stay in the business in some capacity.
"I have a lot to offer any kids that I work with," Smith said. "I'll coach again, that's for sure. You have to find a way to start over."
No bowl for Ka'Deem
Canyon del Oro coach Dusty Peace was informed by Army All- American Bowl organizers that the Dorados' Ka'Deem Carey won't be selected for the game.
Peace said he was told the main reason Carey was not chosen was because he missed games early in the season with an injury.
Peace wasn't sure if Carey would be selected for any other postseason games.
Bene misses O'Dowd
Salpointe Catholic coach Dennis Bene said he was in touch with USC star and former Lancers standout Kris O'Dowd before the Trojans' game with UA last weekend but couldn't make it to watch in person.
"I texted him and told him I was just too busy watching film of Desert Vista," said Bene of preparing for his team's game tonight against Phoenix Desert Vista. "I watched on TV though, and he looked great."
Bene said they stay in touch. He has a big picture of him with O'Dowd in his office.
On StarNet: For recent stories, stats and a map of high school fields go to azstarnet.com/sports/ high-school

No comments:

Post a Comment